Who knows what's inside?
I wanted to try and build something cool in flutter, as I've really enjoyed my limited experiences with it. I also perpertually recreate the same things over and over again, so here we go again....
Another 2D RPG!
The goal here is really to build an easy copy/paste, noob friendly gamedev experience. I want to be able to drop in levels, scripts, etc without having to any 'relevant' code-changes.
Putting it into action
I started by googling 'flutter 2d game engine' and digging through the results, this highly creative process was proven when I came across 'Flame 2D', an excellent 2D game engine, and subsequently 'Bonfire-Engine', an RPG Maker type engine built with Flame 2D.
I started by downloading one of the functioning samples, and switching to flutter dev. With just some teething issues to resolve, I managed to get all of my primary flutter platforms (apk, ios, windows, web) building on my home PC. This was a good sign.
After this I spent some time digging into the demo project, re-arranging, re-naming and hacking away trying to learn how it all works. Pretty quickly I had a pretty nice concept going - so I decided it was time to commit (...put it under source control).
The Big Setup
This is a breakdown of how it all (currently) comes together:
- Flutter is a language that can be built to multiple platforms
- You write the code once, you run it on your phone, your pc, your tv, great!
- Bonfire uses a very standard set of tools for building a game
- 'Tiled'to build it's levels/maps, a great editor with layers, objects, scripts
- Standard 2D Spritesheet formats
- GitHub Workflow for builds/releases
- Prepares a new GitHub release
- Builds out Flutter Web project as GitHub Page
- Builds Android APK and attaches to release
- Builds Windows EXE and attaches to release
This is just the beginning of something great, or alternatively I abandon it; find out below!